Israeli Biotech & World Meningitis Day: Battling the Superbugs & Helping Heal The World
World Meningitis Day is held every year on 24th April to raise awareness of meningitis, provide support for those living with the after-effects of the potentially devastating disease and to highlight the importance of vaccinations.
- Meningitis is a potentially deadly disease that can kill within 24 hours.
- Bacterial meningitis can be caused by many different types of bacteria.
- There are safe and effective vaccines that protect against the most common causes of bacterial and viral meningitis.
- Not all strains of meningitis are vaccine preventable, so being able to recognize the symptoms is crucial.
- Of those who get meningococcal disease 10-15 percent die. Among those who survive, approximately 1 in 5 live with permanent disabilities, such as brain damage, hearing loss, loss of kidney function or limb amputations. 21 percent of all meningococcal disease cases occur in preteens, teens and young adults ages 11–24.
The good news is that there are many resources being invested into eliminating this horrible disease. Israel and Israeli biotech is on the forefront of this research and these technologies. Here is a related article worth reading:
Antibiotic resistance is one of the world’s most serious health threats. Here’s how Israeli scientists are trying to overcome the problem.
#AllMeningitisMatters #worldmeningitisday #meningitis #biotech #startupnation #globalimpacttech #welaunch #israel #techunolam